Mussels in Chilli Tomato Sauce
With white wine, crusty bread and parsley. A delicious fresh mussel dish, complimented with a spicy tomato sauce.
- 1.5kg Boston Bay mussels
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Step 1Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 2Add the diced tomato, lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar and wine to pan. Stir until well combined. Increase heat to high. Bring sauce to the boil.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Add mussels to sauce. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussel shells open.
- Step 5To serve, ladle sauce and mussels into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lots of crusty bread. (note: place a large bowl in the middle of the table for the empty shells)