With coriander infused sweet soy and chilli olive oil. These pipis are so delicious, sweet and nutty with a firm satisfying texture.
- 16 piece Sashimi Pipis raw, shucked, de-sanded
- Coriander infused sweet soy sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 60ml sake
- ½ tsp white sugar
- 3 stalks coriander roots
- Chilli olive oil
- 11/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
- 3 tbsp crushed dried red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup whole dried chilli peppers
- Step 1Coriander infused sweet soy sauce:
Combine stock, soy sauce, sake, sugar and coriander stems and roots in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes, then strain and cool.
- Step 2Chilli olive oil:
Set out a clean, dry glass bowl or jar and add the chilli. In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat for a few minutes, just until it begins to smoke. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a minute or two. Pour the oil slowly and carefully over the chilli, making sure that the oil completely covers the chilli. If necessary, use a spoon to stir so that all the chilli is submerged. Set aside to cool for at least an hour or two. Once cooled, taste the oil. If it’s to your liking, strain the oil to remove the chilli. If you’d like more heat and flavour, cover the oil and allow it to infuse overnight or for as long as desired before straining. Once strained, store the oil in a clean, airtight glass container. You can add the whole dried chilli peppers back to the oil to gradually intensify its colour and flavour.
- Step 3Gently open the Pipis (like a butterfly) and arrange on a plate, sprinkle a few fresh coriander leaves and sliced chilli on the plate. Serve the dressings in small bowls for dipping.
Enjoy as an entree with a nice glass of chilled Sauvignon blanc.