With cherry tomatoes, basil and shaved parmesan. A delicious silky crayfish risotto just bursting with flavour.
- 1 whole large Crayfish (green) or 250-350g Crayfish meat
- 30g Butter unsalted
- 400g Carnaroli rice (or Arborio)
- 1.6L Crayfish stock (or chicken stock infused with the crayfish shells)
- 50g Butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced/grated
- 200ml dry white wine
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crayfish stock
- Crayfish carcass/shells
- 1 chopped carrot, celery rib, onion
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf, 1 thyme sprig
- 4L water
- Parmesan, shaved
- Basil leaves, torn
- Step 1Remove meat from the crayfish tails and cut into bite-sized pieces. Reserve the shells for making the crayfish stock or infusing the stock.
- Step 2For the Crayfish stock, rinse the carcass/shells. Cook the carrot, celery rib, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and thyme sprig in olive oil in a 6-8 litre pot over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the carcass/shells and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced to about 61/2 cups, about 11/2 hours. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined fine sieve. OR For the Infused stock, place the chicken stock and the carcass/shells into a large, heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid to infuse for 5 minutes, then strain.
- Step 3For the Risotto, place a medium sized, heavy based saucepan over low heat. Add 1 tbsp of the butter and the olive oil, add onion and garlic and cook, without browning, until soft. Add the tomatoes. Add the rice and stir until all grains are coated with oil and have slightly warmed. Deglaze the saucepan with white wine then stir continuously until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Step 4Add half the stock to the rice and stir to prevent rice sticking. When the liquid has reduced, add another quarter of the stock. When all liquid has been absorbed add remaining stock. Cook for a further 5 minutes until rice is cooked and creamy, add a little water if necessary.
- Step 5For the crayfish, heat up a pan on med-high heat with butter and olive oil, add the crayfish meat, cook tossing until lightly coloured (about 3 min). Take of the heat, season with salt and pepper.
- Step 6To finish the risotto, stir through the crayfish, basil, lemon juice and grated parmesan.
- Step 7Divide the risotto onto each plate, top with a few extra pieces of crayfish, shaved parmesan, sprinkle with torn basil.