Pan-fried Glacier 51 Toothfish
With coriander infused sweet soy sauce, rice and ice plant. A fresh, crisp appetiser with clean, bright flavours.
- 300g Glacier 51 toothfish, cut into 3mm thick slices
- ½ cup Rice flour
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Canola oil
- 250g Superbrown rice (Sun Rice microwave steamed rice)
- Coriander infused sweet soy sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 60ml Sake
- ½ tsp White sugar
- 3 stalks Coriander, roots and leaves reserved
- 100g Ice plant (or warrigal greens, baby spinach)
- 1 Small red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 Shallot, finely sliced
- Coriander leaves
- Step 1For the coriander infused sweet soy sauce, combine stock, soy sauce, sake, sugar and coriander stems and roots in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes, then strain and cool.
- Step 2Combine rice flour and ½ cup water in a bowl to form a paste. Spread paste evenly over the toothfish slices. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat, add a few pieces of fish and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to an absorbent paper-lined plate and repeat with remaining fish.
- Step 3Cook rice as per packet instructions.
- Step 4Blanch the Ice plant (or greens) and refresh in ice water.
- Step 5To serve add some rice to each bowl, add some ice plant, top with a few slices of fish and serve scattered with chilli, shallot and coriander leaves then spoon sauce over the rice to finish.