With herb butter, apple-fennel slaw and lime vinaigrette. A dish sure to impress! Delicate sweet crayfish with a bright and zesty slaw.
- 2 whole large Crayfish (green) about 800g each
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup fennel, thinly shaved
- 11/2 apples (pink lady), matchsticks
- 1 cup carrots, coarse grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne
- Coriander leaves
- Sliced chillies
- Lime cheeks
- Step 1Herb butter: Combine all ingredients and season to taste. Set aside.
- Step 2Crayfish: Place on its back on a flat, non-slip work surface place a sharp knife on the head beneath the mouth parts. Cut through the head, then backwards towards the tail. Open out to reveal the 2 halves. Remove and discard the dark intestinal vein, stomach sac and gills. Transfer crayfish, flesh-side up, to a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Heat a skillet over high heat and add the crayfish, flesh-side down. Cook for 4 minutes or until slightly charred. Turn, then coat the flesh with the herb butter. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes until the crayfish is just cooked through. You can also put the skillet in the oven (180°C) to finish if you prefer.
- Step 3Apple-fennel slaw: Combine in a large bowl the shredded red cabbage and shaved fennel then the coarse grated carrots and sliced spring onions. Next finely chop a small handful of coriander and add it to the slaw mix. Lastly, cut the apple into thin match-stick pieces and add it to the slaw. If you’re chopping up this salad ahead of time, don’t cut the apple till you’re ready to dress the salad cos they’ll turn brown. Toss everything together well.
- Step 4For the dressing start with 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil in a jar or a bowl. Add the honey, apple cider, lime juice, salt, pepper and a light dusting of cayenne to the oil. Put the lid on and shake the dressing (if you’re using a bowl simply whisk it with a fork) until the oil and other liquids are mixed well. Drizzle over the slaw and toss well until everything is coated in the dressing.
- Step 5Add a mound of slaw to each plate and rest the crayfish on top, baste with a little more of the herb butter, then garnish with some coriander leaves, sliced chillies and lime cheeks.