With lime, quark and clove salt. An elegant entree, delicate, delicious and sure to impress.
- 200g Scampi meat
- Juice of 1 lime
- 60ml Lime extra virgin olive oil (or plain)
- Salt flakes (Murray River)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 celery heart (the pale-yellow fine stalks and leaves)
- 10 cloves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 4 Cherry tomatoes
- 60g Quark yoghurt, (or Greek)
- 2 radishes, sliced in rounds
- 1 Green chilli, finely sliced
- 10g Lumpfish or salmon caviar (optional)
- Mint leaves
- Step 1Rinse the scampi meat and let drain on paper towel. Then keep ice cold (use a plate sitting on a bowl of ice).
- Step 2Whisk the lime juice with the olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Sprinkle the onion with salt and sugar, mix and allow to stand to soften.
- Step 4Pick the pale leaves from the celery heart and cut the fine stalks on a diagonal slice.
- Step 5Grind the cloves finely (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder) with a heaped tablespoon of salt flakes to make a fine powder.
- Step 6Peel and deseed the cucumber and tomatoes and chop into a small dice. Slice the chill into fine slices.
- Step 7Toss the scampi through the lime dressing. Leave to cure for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 8Add some radishes in a circle on each plate, then lay out the cured scampi, spaced round the circle. Add small dollops of quark between each scampi, then in the centre make a small stack of the cucumber, tomato, celery, chilli and onion. Scatter some caviar next to each scampi (optional). Season with pepper and the clove salt. Finish with mint and celery leaves, spoon over a little more of the lime dressing and serve.